Friday, July 2, 2010

"I'm Not A Handyman, But Sometimes I Play One At Work"

I consider myself very handy around the house. Not too many things that I haven't done. Years ago I was a handyman and did well in that business. But now I'm a contractor, been one for years. Love the larger jobs that come with being a general contractor in the State of California. Lately, I find that I have been dabbling in the handyman domain.
Usually a homeowner has a minor problem and needs some advice about a big problem. I go to take a look and much to the surprise of the homeowner, the problem really isn't a big deal. I have enough experience doing so many trades, it has always been easier to just fix it right now. Homeowners and property managers love it - it costs less. Nobody wants to spend a ton of money in a tight market. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting the short stick. Almost like I'm taking business from myself. Then I think back.

Virtually all my work today comes from referrals - long time customers, customers I met yesterday, agents, colleagues, etc. The vast majority of these can be linked back to some small job that I did in the past. I still get the big jobs, so I guess I'll keep doing the small ones and be grateful.

2 comments:

 
Custom Search
AnooX banner here